Sunday, September 4, 2011

Fishers of Men...


The Good Fisherman
The story began like most stories do,
A long time ago by a small sea of blue.
Two brothers were fishing their nets scattered round
Not knowing that they’d turn the world upside-down.
Jesus walked by and their fishing did end,
And they became Christ’s first Fishers of Men.

A group would be formed and when Christ was done,
These two became twelve and they followed God’s Son,
He taught them through stories of water and seeds
To tend to their brothers before their own needs.
He said love your God with all of your heart
And all of my ways you should never part.

They traded the boats and the nets they were casting
For grace and forgiveness and life everlasting.
They traded the Law and all that they knew
For the truth of a man and a life made anew.
They traded this world and all that was in it
For the promise of heaven and the race that would win it.

Two thousand years later the story’s the same,
Those who want Heaven, not fortune or fame.
People who are willing to face daily strife
Sharing the message of eternal life.
The message that God wants the whole world to hear,
These folks proclaim Jesus without any fear.

Because of your calling, I now know the story.
I accepted the gift in all of its glory.
A room in the mansion is furnished for me
Because of your sharing I know I am free.
My life is now changed, I will never go back
I am running the race, I’m ahead of the pack.

I can’t thank you enough for all that you gave me,
The story of Christ and how he could save me.
By giving your time and completing your mission,
You heeded the call of Christ’s great Commission.
I’m so very happy that you are my friends
And that you chose to be Fishers of Men.
This piece was written in tribute to all the people in the world and go out and gently share the word of Jesus. It takes a special person to share the message of salvation with total strangers.

No comments:

Post a Comment